Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Temple my place of refuge

I had a Saturday off a couple of weeks ago and my husband and I went to the Mount Timpanogos Temple.  It is a beautiful Temple, but I still love the Draper Temple the best.  It has been so nice to go to the Temple with my husband and have quiet time away from the world together.

As I have thought about going to the Temple lately there are many reasons I have found why I love to go.  One reason is that when I enter the doors of the Temple I leave the world and all it's problems outside.  I have a few hours of just being close to God and to feel of his Spirit.  I also like to go and just see all the paintings of the Savior.  I go to work on being more spiritually connected to God, and I go to help bless my ancestors.
I never realized that there were people of other faiths that were against my churches Temples.  Or perhaps I realized it, but never realized how much people might be offended by the work we do.  In my church we believe that this life is just a small part of an eternal life.  This is a test period.  We believe that each person here is a Daughter or Son of Heavenly Father.  We believe that we will be resurrected and have immortal bodies.  With that belief we also believe that there are things that must take place here on earth so that you can reach the highest degree of glory in the eternities.  Which is to live in the presence of God.  So as I do family history work, I look for ancestors who may not have had the chance to hear the Gospel, and then I do work for them in the Temple.  It is my ancestors choice even beyond the veil as to whether they will choose to accept this work. 
What I don't understand is why anyone outside my church would care whether I do this work or not.  If you don't believe what I believe then does it matter if I do the work?  In your eyes it really isn't true and so it has no affect on anything.  So why get so annoyed and upset?  Well that is how I feel.  I believe it is necessary and I spend my time doing this work.  Any ways with the all the political races my church has been being talked about.  Some good, some bad.  But I know this, in the Temple every where you look you see paintings of the Savior.  All that is taught leads you to God and Jesus Christ.  We believe in God, and in his Son Jesus Christ.  And the Temple is one place that I can go to and be close to them both.  I love to go to the Temple.  It is a refuge for me from the world.   And a place where I can feel great peace and hope. 
Here is a link to a recent news article about other religion's views on our Temples.
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment