Friday, February 17, 2012

Stonehenge and my great, great grandfather my find of the week...

Here is a photo of my great, great grandfather Isaac Farr.  I just found this photo on ancestry.com this week. He was born in 1852 in Wiltshire, England.  He died in 1945. The things that I learned about him this week are that he had 12 children.  Wow.  He lived his life in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England, and he was a grocer. This photo was taken on his 90th birthday and he wanted to have both the British and American flag in it.  Some of his children, my great grandfather being one, moved to America.

Here is a photo of him in front of his corn field.  After finding information about him and his family online I googled his home town.  I like to see and learn about the places where my ancestors lived.  What I found was so cool.  He lived right near Stonehenge.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge
I have so many questions I could ask him.  What was it like to live near a place that people flock to?

Did his family go there? Were there stories passed down from family members about this site? Did he and his family think people were foolish to travel to this spot? I would also like to ask him if it was hard to have family members move to a different country.  I would love to travel someday to all the interesting places my ancestors lived by.  This by far would be a great place to visit. 
Here is a photo of his wife, Susannah Harman.  What I find interesting when I research a family line is that most people only search after the family that they attach their surname to.  I have lots of information on Isaac and very little about his wife's family.  I'm sure as I continue to work on this line in the next few weeks I  will find someone who has studied her line more.  I've already found more information than I had hoped to find.  It keeps me very busy.
One interesting thing is that I found this information on them this week, found that they lived near Stonehenge and then today there is an article about Stonehenge on the Internet.  I've included the link for you.  I think I'll go to the library and see if I can find some books on Stonehenge.  I can learn about it and also see where my ancestors lived.
We are moving slowly forward on getting the electric updated in the house.  Should happen in the next two weeks.  Then hopefully the interested buyer will come back to the table and sign the contract.  Because it is a duplex the bill will be split in half with our neighbor so it won't be as bad as it could.  I continue to go to the Temple weekly as I need a quiet place away from the stress of life.
Work is going well for both myself and my husband.  He got huge overtime again this week, yesterday they had a lunch to tell all the employees their plan for the company up to 2020 I like the idea of my husband having a stable job for a long time.  Tomorrow we are going to the temple as our Valentines day date.  I'm not sure which one we will go to yet.  He wants to go to the one over the mountains.  I'll have to bring my camera.
A few weeks ago we had stake conference and they talked about the name of our Stake "The Midvalley stake."  The interesting point made was that we are in the middle of a bunch of temples.  We are so many blocks from the Salt Lake Temple, we are so many blocks from the Jordan River Temple, we are so many blocks from the Draper Temple(my favorite) and so many blocks from some other temple that I can't remember the name of.  So we are surrounded by Temples.  Since moving to Utah my joke has been that my husband and I live where we are because he was frustrated with the grid system out here.  So after going to three apartment complexes, he decided on this one, so he would not have to drive around any longer.  But perhaps it was God putting us here so I could be in the middle of all the Temples.     Hope you enjoyed learning a little about Isaac and Stonehenge.  I have had a great week of family history sleuthing.
G.G.
P.S.  I also learned while talking to my mother this week that this is the side of the family that my lovely red hair comes from.  Although I would rather it turned back to blonde like when I was young.  I have grown used to my red hair and curls over the past few years.  I just hope I don't go grey quiet as fast as my mom did.

No comments:

Post a Comment