Thursday, April 1, 2010

Shelf Markers


On my desk is a can that is filled with colored shelf markers. Each marker has either a letter or number. It seems such the simple thing, take one shelf marker and go find a book. It is never that simple. No each child has a special color they want, or number or letter. "I must have a blue, with the number 7. because I'm 7 or I must have the letter "L" because my name begins with "L"" . If children do not get their favorite marker it can be a very bad thing. Sometimes they start fighting over a marker and then I must take it away. I have to say I'm not sure which is more filled with germs the shelf markers or the "Germ Thing"! Every child in the school has touched these markers. One time I took a black marker and went over the numbers and letters and they thought that they were brand new shelf markers. I think it is probably time to do that again. The other week this can fell off the desk three times. The other end of the shelf marker is round. The Librarian needs these to always point down. The Librarian actually has many students trained to make sure they are all pointing down. I had wanted to get a picture with some of them up, but the Librarian changed them around before I got my camera out. I can connect this to "You've got mail" Think about the part where everyone is in line for coffee at Starbucks and each person has an important decision to make. The important decision here "I'll have a Blue Shelf Marker with a 7 please!."

No comments:

Post a Comment