Saturday, January 11, 2020

Exploring Utah...Utah Lake, a winter walk to see if we can find any birds. January 2020

Here is my cat Dynamite guarding my "explorer bag". 
I use two cameras when I go off exploring Utah.  I 
use my cellphone camera and my regular camera.  They 
don't both fit in my camera bag so I take this big canvas bag.
It also carries my snacks, and binoculars.  When my kids were little we watched
a lot of "Dora the Explorer."   So often as I am getting ready to go off
and explore a new place in Utah, I will find myself singing the tune to Dora the explorer.
My husband and I now joke that I am "Kimmer the Explorer." 


We haven't been to Utah lake in awhile.  The holidays were busy with running the 
kids places and just getting ready for Christmas.  So it was nice to have
and afternoon to walk around the lake.  I really liked this photo with the lamp post.
I think it makes me think of the Narnia books. 

There was a layer of ice on the lake and as you 
looked out there was this blue haze, it looks pretty.




This photo I like just because the sun looks so cool in it. 
I don't think the ice is thick enough for you to walk on it.
In fact there was a group of kids ice fishing and I think one fell in.
It was close to the shore so they just got wet.  Brr.

There were a some birds to see which made me happy.
A group of American Coot.

The birds were far away so I used my camera with the the
zoom lens. So some of the photos are a bit blurry.

Sea gulls and some Mallard ducks.  I was surprised to see
the Mallard ducks I thought perhaps they would have 
migrated.  I guess they don't.


It looks like the Sea gull feet are in the ice doesn't it. 
I would be frozen, I wonder how they keep warm out there.


This might be a Great Blue Heron. 
We watched it fly by and land in the lake quiet a bit away from us.
I enjoyed using my binoculars to watch it.  I was able to get a few
nice photos of this bird.  


On our walk back we saw another one, but
it was to far away to photograph.
Well I hope to go exploring different places in Utah again this year.
I also will visit all my favorite places.  The next few months we might do indoor places
as I don't really do well out in the cold. 
Do you have any favorite places in Utah that you like to visit?
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment