Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Cat Chat With Dynamite The Rescue Cat. Dealing with pet loss. January 15,2020

Last year on January 18th we said goodbye to our sweet cat Amber. 
We had Amber in our family for almost 12 years.  She was our first family pet.
We rescued her so we really don't know how old she was. 
She loved all of us, and we loved her.   The grief of losing Amber was as strong, if not stronger
that that of losing a relative to me.  She was my constant companion at home. 
I expected to have her around for a lot more years. 

 I can't believe that a whole year has passed.  I am not brought to tears at her loss anymore.
But I do still miss her.  Each animal you have has it's own personality and while we 
ended up adopting a new cat, we still talk often about Amber.
She was such a big part of our life at home.  
I found this beautiful quote on Pinterest about the passing of a cat.
Lucky Cat.....
My eyes are getting heavy now, my time has come to leave,
but one thing I must tell you as you stay behind to grieve...
you always did your best for me, your love it knew no end,
I really was a Lucky Cat to have you as my friend.
I see how much you miss me now,
your days seem bleak and bare,
I know you well, your heart is big
you still have love to share.
So please don't sit and cry for me,
We'll meet around the bend,
til then another, Lucky Cat
is waiting for a friend. 

I wouldn't give the above poem to someone right after they have lost their loved pet.
People need time to grieve the loss of a pet before thinking of getting a new pet. 
I spent many days crying and allowing myself to be sad.  I think it's important to 
allow yourself to feel sad, to allow those feelings to be there. 
Eventually as the months move on the moments of grief lessen. 
My son made this for me. It's me being watched over by my new cat Dynamite and my 
angel cat Amber.  I showed him a drawing of something similar from Pinterest. 
I just love this drawing. 
One thing I like to do is listen to Podcasts.  I have started to listen to some pet podcasts.
Specifically cat related podcasts.  My favorite podcast is "Nine Lives with Dr. Kat."  
If you have recently lost your pet cat episode 49 might be a good place to start with 
dealing with your loss.    It's titled " You Are Not Crazy: Pet Loss Grief."  
I thought it was a great episode and wish it had been around last year when I 
lost Amber.  

Here is to my Lucky New Cat.  She is a joy in my life.  
I hope as this year progresses I can share more cat facts with you.
G.G. and Dynamite.


No comments:

Post a Comment