Sunday, October 1, 2017

Mom Of A Missionary...E-Mails from Mexico...August 7th..

This weeks e-mail brought to you by...

... The unpleasant sensation of an unknown number of ants crawling on and biting you!

Hello dearest family and friends. It is once again that special day of the week when I have time to write. No photos this week, sadly.

In brief, we had little success looking for new people to teach this week. This friday we even had an activity where we took some of the young men and young women of the branch out to see what it's like to contact in the street.

Every single one of them recieved a no, but they enjoyed it nonetheless. I'm glad that I have Elder Arellanes by my side because I had no idea what to say and when I tried, all of the jovenes laughed. It was pretty fun.

We have a baptism planned today for a young investigator named Aymar. She just turned 8 yesterday and her older sister and older brother have already been baptized, but since her parents aren't married and baptized, she still counts as an investigator. The parents are having issues with their relationship right now, and as such, we're quite lucky to have this opportunity. She is very happy.

We have another investigator who is very close to baptism. An athiest named Ivan! He's about 17 years old and was friends with a member that went to our branch, and even after the member family left, he's been meeting with us and coming to the chapel. The reason he's investigating the church is because he wants to make a change for the better in his life. He's attended numerous churches and has felt something different in our little branch. He learns quickly and applies the principles twice as fast. We taught him about the Word of Wisdom, and how in our Church we don't partake of certain substances, like alcohol, cigarrettes, drugs, tea, and coffee.
He told us that he drinks up to nine cups of coffee a day, but after the lession he quit cold turkey. Straight from nine to zero. We are amazed by his faith.

This past Sunday was a fast and testimony meeting, and I tried to fast for 24 hours. Unfortunately, my body didn't exactly like that idea, and midway through a lesson with Ivan, I started feeling quite sick. My companion told me that my face looked green, and as such, I had to break my fast early. I remembered the scripture where Jesus told his disciples that they should not be as the hypocrites, painting their faces to show the world that they were fasting and hungered.
Unfortunately, looks like my face painted itself!

Every day I am thankful for the blessings and experiences that I have here in Mexico. I might not be in the greatest of situations, but I'm grateful that our apartment is not made out of sticks and sheets of metal. I might have ants swarming the house, but i'm grateful that I don't have to constantly ward off mosquitos or wild animals. Overall, this is a nice place and I'm always counting my many blessings. I hope you are too.

Love you all! Miss you so much. Soon enough, we will meet again (ant free).

-Elder Bowlby

No comments:

Post a Comment