Sunday, October 1, 2017

Mom of A Missionary... E-Mails from Mexico...August 21, 2017

Hello, everybody. Elder Bowlby here.

Transfers are in, and Elder Arellanes has left the area. Quite sad I am, but the poor Elder had six months in San Felipe and to be honest, he needed a breath of fresh air. Sad to see him off, but I know things will work out well.

I'm no longer a missionary in training. Now, I'm a real Missionary! ...And I have to direct the area! 
I'll do my best!

My new companion is Elder Araujo from PerĂº! He seems pretty serious (and has a lot of stuff). I have no doubt we'll be good friends in no time.

Truth be told, the only accomplishment we had this week was a baptism. We were both working hard for this moment, and we baptized a very worthy and prepared young man named Ivan. He lives in a community called Huitzitzilingo (where they don't have an LDS chapel) and he took combis out here to meet with us and to attend church. He can speak Nahuat'l, which is basically the ancient Aztec dialect (and can do so quite well). He stopped drinking coffee, read and prayed, and recieved an answer that the church is true. His baptism was a very spiritual experience.

I found out what's making my stomach churn. It's because... Surprise! I'm not eating enough vegetables. Yikes, it's something I took for granted in the States. Vegetables! I never would have imagined that I'd be missing vegetables of all things. 
I dug out my multivitamins that I had stopped taking because they tasted horrible, and now I'm taking them every day. It appears that the frijoles, mole, enchiladas, gorditas, carnitas, aguacate, arroz, y mi triste cereal con leche is not enough to keep me going (or at least without stomach pain). So I'm going to see what kind of vitamins and such I can buy... (but nobody sells vegetables in San Felipe).

Lots of questions about the food recently. I'm eating lots of grains, meat, beans, and fruit... but no vegetables. Real Mexican food. Lots of beans, rice, pork and chicken. Very rarely is beef served but it's quite nice to know that my food is natural. I also know that if the chicken's a bit rough, just means that it's been out walking around on the patio. Talk about free range. Also, I don't normally use salso but I'm getting used to all the picante. Apparently there was some spicy in the beans we had for lunch today and I didn't even notice. An improvement!

No eclipse here in Mexico (at least nothing I could see.)

Thank you for your time and your e-mails. Rest assured, I am doing alright. 

I love you, and I'll see you next week. Stay strong, God Bless, and do your best!

No comments:

Post a Comment