Saturday, May 24, 2014

Grandma Miller's Yummy Frosting

This past Monday I woke up craving my Grandma Miller's Yummy Frosting.   I don't typically feel the need to bake, but I just needed to have her frosting.  So many of my childhood memories can be found while eating something made with this frosting.  My most favorite treat would be whoopie pie's filled with it, but that was a bit more work than I had time for.  So I made a cake and her frosting.
The frosting is so smooth and it is not too sweet, it's just right.  I always looked forward to birthdays and having this frosting on the cake.  Or in many cases having whoopie pie's for my birthday cake.  It was so nice to sit down and have a yummy snack that reminded me of the best days of my childhood,  time with family.
I think all the reading of old cook books has made me think of all the foods I loved to eat and the people I connect them with.  My Grandmother was a great cook and I always loved going to her house and eating dinner or lunch with her and my Grandfather.  A few months ago I was craving the pickles she used to serve with lunch.  My family questioned why there were so many jars of pickles in the fridge.  I could never quiet find the pickles that tasted like the ones she bought.  What a joy it would be to go back in time and sit at the counter and eat soup, sandwich and really sour pickles with my Grandparents.  I'm so thankful I had so many summers at their house with them.
This summer I hope to teach my children how to cook, and I've been thinking of putting together a cookbook with recipes from my childhood, that have been passed down from relatives.  And perhaps some recipes that our ancestors may have made.  Hope I'll be able to share them with you.
Of course Grandma Miller's frosting recipe is a secret and I can't share it...
G.G.

Whoopie pie recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment