Saturday, November 19, 2011

Moving Lesson Learned: When you need help ask for it!

Here is a photo from one of my recent visits to the Draper Temple.  The Draper Temple is up on the side of a mountain.  It has some awesome views.  The mountains look so beautiful with all the snow on them.  I can't wait to go out today as it has snowed again.
Lately I've been thinking of the weeks I spent in New Jersey pretty much alone with my children.  I went many weeks, doing everything on my own.  I kept thinking surely one of my friends will call and see if I need help.  You know they never did. Am I hurt or complaining?  No.  But I learned a lesson.  At some point it all became too much for me.  I could not get my son to help, he would not focus unless I stood over him.  And some days it was all too much and I'd curl up on the couch and sleep half the day away.  Then one day while I watched my daughter swimming, I broke down and new I needed to ask a friend for help.  So I called my friend and from that point on, I had help.  Things got done, people came to help and there was less stress.  My one neighbor commented on our last day in the house, I knew you were doing a ton of work, but I never realized just how much you had done on your own.  My friend and those that helped us made a huge impression on them. 
But the point is that I needed to ask for the help.  I read a scripture recently, and it reminded me of this.  The Lord pretty much said in the scripture, " If you are not receiving the answer, then you are not asking me."  The Lord expects us to ask in prayer for the help we need.  He knows what help we need, but he still wants us to ask.  My friend when I called her said, " I had hoped you would call me, I was waiting for you to ask for help."  And so I've learned to ask for the help I need whether it be from the Lord or from friends and family.  It is a humbling experience, but it is a blessing.  I have also learned though to offer help, when not asked.  Why?  Because I know there are a lot of people out there who have not learned yet to ask for help.  I have one new friend who I go to the temple with and I've told her, if you need help, ask for it.  Don't do everything on your own.  You are not expected to carry your trials on your own.  Ask for help.  I don't live close enough to her to help as much as I would like, but I do try to help others as much as possible.
This is Draper Temple.  The views from the outside are breath taking.  The beauty within is wonderful.  The spirit within the temple is so wonderful, I never want to leave.  I try to go each week at least once, and have made a new goal of going twice a week.  Life becomes so much more simple when you go to the Lord.  Each time I leave I want to sing the song "High on a Mountain top."
Have a wonderful weekend.
G.G.  PS.  I'm working on chapter two of my book.  Hope to have it typed out sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment