Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wild life photo's form our trip.



Here are some photo's I took on our 6 1/2 mile walk up the dead diamond river. There are two rivers that are in this part of New Hampshire/ Maine, the Diamond river and the Dead diamond river. The Dead diamond is named this because it is slower than the Diamond river. This is a photo of an Osprey ( Fish Hawk, Pandion haliaetus) and it's three chicks. What a big nest!







To get this photo, I had to chase this little butter fly around for awhile, but it finally settled down on a flower. This is a Greater Fritillarie butterfly. I love the orange and black coloring, and that it landed on an orange flower. We call the flower "Indian paint brushes" But in looking them up in my field guide I found that it is an Orange Mountain Dandelion. My mom says she will always call it an Indian paint brush. In one article they do say people call them Orange Paintbrushes.



















This is a photo of one of my favorite birds the Red-Winged Black Bird. We used to have one that lived near our house, but I have not seen it this year. I love the red feathers on its wings, and it has a beautiful song. When the kids were young I used to sit outside and listen to all the birds as they sang. I can tell pretty much what bird is singing without seeing it.

Unemployment: Well yesterday we got all our paper work in the mail. My paper work is pretty straight forward. I call in next week and begin receiving my benefits. I have a few papers to fill out and send in. My husband though has to wait until July 30th for a call in appointment. He also has to go to a reemployment course. He will get an advisor who will help him choose a training program so that he can get free training for a job. We are very excited about this. He can get 6 months of training and also be able to collect unemployment while getting the training. Then he can have his unemployment extended while he applies for jobs. I just hope we don't go to long with out his unemployment payments. We have some savings but could go through it very fast.

Cat Question: Do you have a cat? The question at our cat club meeting was "how often should you clean your cat's litter box?" One family said that the father in the house cleaned the litter box several times a day. They also said they had friends who never cleaned the litter box (How gross!) The people were trying to figure out how to teach their friends about cleaning the litter box without insulting them. I think that we will be having a Litter box poster at our 4-H booth this year. We clean ours out at least once a day. Of course our house is small and you can't leave anything like that or it would smell.

Garden note: I have one tomato almost read to pick. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment