Thursday, March 22, 2012

Eleven days till the 1940 census is here...

Here is a photo of crocus.  Early each morning they are closed tightly.  Then as the sun warms them up they open.
I think these small plants are so beautiful.  I hope they grow in Utah.  I think if we get a house I'll be wanting to plant them.  I'm reading a new book called "The language of Flowers" By Vanessa Diffenbaugh.  It is a very interesting book and I love all the references to flowers.  I had just been thinking I need to read "Garden Spells" again when this came along.  A new flower related book to read.  Just loving it.
The language of flowers says that Crocus mean : youthful gladness. They certainly make me feel happy when I look at them.
Crocus are an early spring flowers.  Sometimes they pop out under the snow and bloom.  Making it that much harder to deal with snow, when you want warm sunny weather.
So my title is 11 days till the 1940 census.  But I've spent more time showing you photo's of flowers.  If you are into family history the wait is almost over.  Soon Ancestry.com will have the 1940 census available.  I can not wait to see what I will find going on with my family during this time. 
I just finished the book " The Holy Temple" By Boyd K. Packer.  The last chapters are all about family history.  I've dog eared so many of the pages that if I worked at the library still I'd be in big trouble. As that's a big "NO" with librarians.  There were so many ideas that I just loved.
One thing I read was that many people do not do their family history because they become overwhelmed by the details.  They take a class and the instructor puts all these pedigree charts up and begins talking about things that seem so confusing to the beginner.  I remember that happening.  But I still went forward anyways.  I have learned so much on my own.  I had always wished I could have taught family history.  I would have done it much differently but I never have.  Start with yourself and do the best you can.   Talk to family members, collect stories and learn about those who came before you.  Doors will open as you seek.
My mother loves flowers and flower gardening.  I always watched her garden when I was young.  I never wanted to get my hands in the dirt though.  Now I miss it so.  It is something we share in our daily e-mails.  The flowers, and her quilt projects.  I wonder how many of my ancestors also enjoyed flowers.  On my husbands side one whole family has all the daughters named after flowers, I will have to see what all their names mean in the language of flowers.
Have a good day.
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment