Sunday, July 2, 2017

Mom of a Missionary....And He is off to the Mission field...

Here is the first e-mail we received from our son as he set off to his actual mission.  No more 
easy days of training..now the hard work of sharing the Gospel ...
If you like piña flavored ice-cream.
... And drowning in humidity! If you're not into sleeping, after flying real early! If you wished you just had a sketchbook... but it's in your suitcase! They kinda took those to the office... so I've got no pictures for sharing!

Buenos Dias/Buenas Tardes, amigos. Estoy yo, Elder Bowlby, who finally arrived in  Mexico.
It's been quite the journey for me since I last mailed everyone. Lots of hard work, lots of packing, moving, doing, fixing... and the hardest work hasn't even begun yet! Don't worry, I'm going to make sure that I work extra hard during these next two years. Then time will really fly!

I learned a lot at CCM too. Learning that yes, I am not perfect, nor does the Lord expect me to be.
I learned a lot about the Spirit and how it talks to us. How we learn and grow, how we better ourselves in the field.

Lots of difficult doctrine and hard work ahead, but I know that if I work hard all will be alright.

So! How about I share a little about
Mexico! You're probably dying to know what it's like here. No? Aw...

I'll just tell you anyways.

Woke up at 12:30 to get on a bus at 2:30 to catch a plane at 6:10. The plane ride was less than an hour and we arrived in Mexico at about 7:03 (6:03 AM Utah time for reference). Very excited to step outside the airport and take it all in. Sea level! Wow!

First off, it's humid. Really humid. More humid than New Jersey Humid. Crazy humid. But it's quite nice, really.

Second, lots of palm trees, palm leaves, beautiful flowers, and rain is random and short from what I can tell, so I had best bring my umbrella.

I had pineapple flavored ice-cream at 9:00 AM. I'll repent for that sin later (Unless you're of the belief that eating ice-cream at breakfast is not a bad thing). Not only was it a bizarre pineapple flavor, but the ice-cream itself came inside an actual pineapple that had been carved out, frozen solid, and was re-purposed as a bowl. Woah! There was also orange flavored ice-cream inside of a hollowed and frozen orange (Don't ask me how they managed that) as well as coconut, melon, and mango. Woah.

So far it has rained twice today. Very short and sporadic. As I type this, practically everyone who went on the early AM flight with me are asleep, and I am restless, walking in circles around a dining room table at the Mission home. I'll need to sleep eventually, but not now.

Spiritual experience of the E-mail. While sitting at the airport, there was a man a few seats down who was going to Tijuana (or something along those lines). The spirit prompted me to talk to him, so I did my best with my broken Spanish to try and communicate. He didn´t have any interest in religion (I believe he said he was agnostic), so after a little bit of conversation I carefully retreated to my seat. Then remembering I had a little pass-along card with me, I took it out of my pocket, and contemplated giving it to him, but coming up with a few reasons he would reject the card, I was hesitant. Nevertheless, the Spirit told me to give it to him. Still hesitant, I played with it in my hands for a few seconds until one of the other Elders who had also spoken with the man suggested that I give it to him. At that point, I knew what I had to do. Carefully handing him the pass-along card, I said something to the extent of "If you ever have a curiosity for the church in the future, this card is for you" in spanish. He took it with a smile and helped me out a little bit with my language faults. How kind of him!

Well, I've got a bit of a headache, so I´ll probably lay down soon. I'm assuming my P-days are Mondays now, so I'll be seeing you more on Monday! ¡Hasta Luego!

-Elder Bowlby

No comments:

Post a Comment