Thursday, January 19, 2012

In Search of Peter Bowlby... How the wrong name lead to finding information.

Here is a photo of Lewis Bowlby on a trolley that used to go from Bound Brook New Jersey to Raritan New Jersey.  Lewis worked on the railroads.  His father was Peter Bowlby.  

Peter was a Carpenter. He lived most of his life in Hampton, Hunterdon New Jersey.  He was the last person on the pedigree chart given to me by my mother-in-law.  One thing that we knew about the Bowlby family is that the first Bowlby Ancestor came to New Jersey from England.  So if you are looking for a Bowlby you can start in New Jersey.  But the problem begins when you can't find how to connect to that first Bowlby.  People way back had lots of children who had lots of children.  I know that they liked having lots of children, but I sometimes feel very sorry for those women.  Two children in modern times is enough for me, I can't imagine all the work 7 to 9 children would be back in the days without all the technology we have.
I would try and try to figure out how to connect Peter to the other Bowlby's but always had a hard time.
When we went to visit the cemetery we thought he might be buried at we had no luck.  But one tomb stone got my attention.
I liked the name Ebenezer.  Perhaps it's because my mom had a favorite Easter bunny decoration named Ebenezer.  So I thought perhaps they were related.  I went home and began searching for Ebenezer Bowlby's.  Although I was totally on the wrong track, by doing a Google search for Ebenezer Bowlby I found a Bowlby family website.  I found out that Peter's father had a brother named Ebenezer.  And by finding that I found Peter's family, and connected him to all the other Bowlby's who lived in the New Jersey area.  The frustrating thing is I still have yet to find where Peter is buried. 
Here is a photo of Peter's Brother William Bowlby.  So when you are looking for an ancestor, sometimes you need to look at other people with the same last name to see if you can find a connection.  Sometimes it works.  Everyday people add new information and photo's.  I just found some interesting photo's of one of Peter Bowlby's Children's husband and children.  It seems that some of his children unfortunately died young.  Peter lived to be 91 years old.
Here is a Bowlby website if you are searching for a Bowlby in your family line.  http://www.bowlbyfamily.org/  Good luck in your family search.  I continue to be busy!
I'm also waiting for snow. It is very warm out here lately. 
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment