Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Blogging from the Laundry room!


I Don't have Internet connection in my apartment yet so I'm constantly going to the Laundry room to check my e-mail and facebook and to look for directions on how to get from one place to another. I am slowly making friends. I have to say working for Kohl's helped me in this area. I was the star greeter during their major remodel this past spring. I had to walk around the building and talk to and help as many customers as possible. I got very used to talking to people I didn't know. It is so much a part of me that I find myself saying hi to any person I see. I have had so many people just stop and chat with me.

Although even in New Jersey I always had people just come up and talk to me. I guess I look safe.

This past weekend our family went to the Museum of Ancient Life. Wow. If you are out in Utah and you love dinosaurs this is the place to go. We most likely will get a year pass to this place. My son loves dinosaurs. Even my daughter didn't get enough of it. So you get dinosaur photo's today. I like how my daughter does expressions with each photo, as if she is being attacked.

I have met many nice people out here so far. I spent the morning with one of my daughters new friends mothers. She is a big coupon person, I got

the low down on the good grocery stores to go to. I also met two people here in the Laundry room. One is from Boston, one is from Arizona. No one here seems to be from Utah. The woman I spent the morning visiting with is from Virginia. Lots of transplants. They all have nice things to say about Utah. So that is good. I'm giving myself this week off from stressing about finding a job. Next week I'll start scouring the Internet and driving to stores. Perhaps there would be a job at a hospital as a receptionist at night.

This very eastern girl is constantly reminded that she is in the west when shopping. There are a lot of Western Family brands. There are not many

spaghetti choices, and pizza is not the same out here. But it is cheaper to buy milk, and other items. I'm going to start comparing things. New Jersey milk was $3.99 a gallon. Here if you go to the right store it is $2.24. And my new friend with all her coupons got it for free! Free milk in my house is always a good thing.

I was thinking a few blogs ago my title was "SAFE IN UTAH." That really played out for my family this weekend when Hurricane Irene hit. We were here in the sun, going to a new Museum. Instead of in a house that would get a little water in the basement and lose power for (I've been told) this whole week. I felt blessed to have missed this. It reminds me of how last year I kept feeling I needed to get my 72 hour kits updated, and felt the need to store lots of water. And then I had the feeling my family was going to move and the 72 hour kits were emptied, and I began cleaning the house out. This Sunday at church was all about being prepared. I believe that is a very important thing to be. But don't prepare for a rainy day, prepare for a rainy month or year. I've found that when trials hit, they last more than a day. So if you only prepare for a short amount of time you may not be prepared enough. I had been putting aside money, and keeping us out of debt for years before my husband lost his job. It proved to be a great blessing for us. I wish I had done more, we still could have been more prepared. I've learned from it though and will do better preparing for the next storm in our life. I just hope we get a few years of rest first. Though I don't know if the storm is totally over yet either. Hopefully we are headed for some sunny days. Thanks for reading. Wish me luck on the job search. I'm a very hard, dedicated worker. I know at some point I'll have a good job again.








No comments:

Post a Comment